Board index › Products › x0x

XOX(BOX) Trouble shooting

38 posts · 82173 views

XOX(BOX) Trouble shooting

by spotta » Thu Apr 23, 2015 20:46 UTC
Hi Guest

You kindly mentioned in a pm to me that I should post here with regards to my X0XB0X (not heart) issues due to the official forum being a bit quiet these days.
It was built from Willzyx PCBs with the rare parts kit and the rest was self sourced. It was built with the X0Xio back panel (not the full kit) originally but since having issues this has been totally removed to make it a stock X0X for troubleshooting.

When it's powered up and turned to keyboard mode, all I get is clicks http://www.spotta.net/downloads/x0x/x0x-keyboard.mp3
In Random I get clicks and the odd note http://www.spotta.net/downloads/x0x/x0x-random.mp3
I have swapped the BA6110 for another but that made no difference at all.
I was advised to check the VCF voltages and what I’ve found so far is a recurring theme of voltages being a bit lower than they should be –
C17. The positive side should be 8v but is 6.6v
R62. The ‘wire’ end is 6.5v not 8v, the ‘body’ end is 6.7v not 8.1v
R99. Wire end 4.8 not 5.3v – cannot get to the body end without removing the PCB
R63. Wire end 2.4 not 2.7v – cannot get to the body end without removing the PCB
Q10 end nearest to R71. 3.25 not 3.75v
I’ve had it up and running for two hours this afternoon and still nothing got hot.
Due to the fact that I have used flat top LEDs, I've tried to avoid removing the board from the panel as I fear I wont get all the LEDs back in and will have to remove and resolder them, but I managed to do it today and grabbed some pictures of the other side of the board and cannot see any shorts. http://www.spotta.net/downloads/x0x/x0x-LED_SIDE.zip
I've also tried the 'click-be-gone' mod but it made no difference to the click.
The other thing I have read that could be contributing to the clicks is that I have used non specified LEDs and their corresponding resistors.
These are the LEDs I used http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-C ... -LED-29333
I lined one of each colour up and choose the resistors to achieve consistent brightness across all the colours, I ended up using
Red : 330r
Orange : 330r
Yellow : 100r
Green : 100r

My next step is to continue checking voltages and that I have fitted the correct resistor values all over the board, but as the best X0X Guru I know, if any of these issues ring any bells or if you can suggest anything else that might be worth checking first, I would greatly appreciate your input.

Re: XOX(BOX) Trouble shooting

by guest » Thu Apr 23, 2015 22:48 UTC
does it still make note sounds every so often in random mode? if so, the problem is probably not in the analog section. it can clearly make sounds, so its just not being told to make sound. does turning accent/slides on or off change anything? the clicks are the VCA trying to make sound, so the VCA most likely works, but an audio signal is not getting to the VCA. can you listen at the resonance pot and waveform switch and tell me if you hear any sounds there?

Re: XOX(BOX) Trouble shooting

by guest » Fri Apr 24, 2015 00:03 UTC
another thing to try, is to put the x0x in keyboard mode, and play every note, from one octave down, to 2 octaves up. make sure that they are all dead.

Re: XOX(BOX) Trouble shooting

by spotta » Fri Apr 24, 2015 13:54 UTC
Good advice that!
Here's what I get from the top ocatve manually playing from C to C - http://www.spotta.net/downloads/x0x/x0x-top-octave.mp3
Also I seem to have a fair bit of DC offset, Image - http://www.spotta.net/downloads/x0x/x0x-top-octave.png
but as I haven't done any tuning or tweaking yet, I'll only worry about that if you think I need to.

As for probing the switch and res pot, I've seen they way they recommend in the x0x manual using a cheap ear-bud - is it also advisable to do this with a modified lead going into my desk, which or without the cap at the end?

Re: XOX(BOX) Trouble shooting

by guest » Fri Apr 24, 2015 18:19 UTC
excellent, that was what i was expecting. so whats happening is that your DAC for CV generation is busted. the x0x doesnt produce any sound for CV less than 1V or so. its most likely a bad IC9. set the x0x to keyboard mode, and play a note in the middle of the range. then, measure the voltages on all of the pins of IC9 and IC11 and report those back. basically, i want to see if the latch is passing the voltages through appropriately. IC11 is the buffer amp, and that might be bad, but less likley.

Re: XOX(BOX) Trouble shooting

by spotta » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:50 UTC
IC9
1-5.33
2-0
3-0.01
4-5.05
5-5.33
6-5.05
7-5.33
8-0
9-0.01
10-0
11-0.01
12-5.33
13-5.05
14-5.05
15-5.33
16-5.33

IC11
1-4.65
2-5.33
3-5.33
4-0
5-2.57
6-2.59
7-2.59
8-11.98

Actually hitting the keyboard didn't seem to make a difference, these voltages were seen before I pressed it, during, and after.

Re: XOX(BOX) Trouble shooting

by guest » Sat Apr 25, 2015 18:50 UTC
well, the problem is not with the DAC, but rather with the VCO (assuming it did not make any sound when you pressed that note in keyboard mode - correct?). but, just a quick verificiation, is to put your multimeter on the CV out, and just play the note up the scale on the keyboard, and make sure the CV increases each time. it is probably fine, though.

can you take another measurement:
put the x0x in keyboard mode, play a note in the middle of the range (you dont need to hold the note).
measure CV out and all the voltage on Q26

im guessing there is either an issue with the CV scaling (R106,R100,TM5,R118) or there is a leakage current in the reset circuit (Q24,Q25,Q27). a couple of quick things to try: 1. clean any flux off the board near the VCO. 2. turn the TUNE pot all the way up and see if any more notes appear at the higher range.

Re: XOX(BOX) Trouble shooting

by spotta » Sat Apr 25, 2015 19:43 UTC
Yep, CV out increases as notes are played as you described

playing G the CV out is 2.59 and Q26 voltages are from back of board to front
5.05,
fluctuating between 7.58 & 8.14, but sort of a regular LFO type of fluctuation.
4.78,
5.34
5.34

Turning the tune pot all the up helps a bit.

Re: XOX(BOX) Trouble shooting

by guest » Sat Apr 25, 2015 20:24 UTC
so the scaling seems good, is there any flux on the board?

measure the voltage across R105, and monitor it for 30s or so, and see if it moves at all.

double check that Q24,25,27,28 are all orientated correctly and are the correct parts.

Re: XOX(BOX) Trouble shooting

by spotta » Sat Apr 25, 2015 21:35 UTC
There is flux on the board, meant to be no clean, but its there.
R105 steady 8.41v the leg end, 0v the other
all four transistors confirmed.

Re: XOX(BOX) Trouble shooting

by guest » Sat Apr 25, 2015 21:53 UTC
clean the flux off if you havent already. if that doesnt do it, one of those transistors is bad.

Re: XOX(BOX) Trouble shooting

by spotta » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:33 UTC
I'll have a good clean around the VCO tonight, I think I also have spares of two of those Transistors, I'll let you know how I get on.
Thanks for all your help so far.

Re: XOX(BOX) Trouble shooting

by guest » Wed Apr 29, 2015 18:48 UTC
if you want to be sure of which parts are bad before having to buy new ones/replace them, you can do the following test:

1. remove q25
2. put your multimeter in current mode, and measure the current between the collector and emitter pcb holes where q25 was. this will be the holes that go to q27 and q26.
3. play the lowest C, and then one octave up, and then another octave up, and so on until youve gone through the full range. the current should read around 3uA, 6uA, 12uA, 24uA, 48uA. the actual values might be different, but the thing to look for is a doubling of current with every octave.
4. if your meter doesnt measure current down to the uA range, then you can put a 100k resistor in these holes and measure the voltage across it (put one lead on each side of the resistor), and the voltage across it should double. but, a low quality meter might have trouble with this as well.

if the current doubles as described, then the problem is with q24,25, or 27. if it does not, then remove q28 and repeat the test. if it still does not double, then q26 might be faulty.

Re: XOX(BOX) Trouble shooting

by spotta » Fri May 01, 2015 06:37 UTC
Nice one. I shall give this a go tonight.
James from willzyx.com (where I got my PCBs & the Transistors) is kindly sending me spares of the four transistors so hopefully I should be up and running soon.

Re: XOX(BOX) Trouble shooting

by spotta » Wed May 06, 2015 15:05 UTC
Update

I removed Q25 and tried option 3 but my multimeter was not registering anything. then a pack of 2SC536F & 2SA733P arrived from James so I replaced Q24, Q25 & Q27, I double checked again to clean the Flux from all components around the VCO, but no difference at all. I've ordered a new 2SK30AO so I can replace Q28 next.
I'm now going to remove Q25 again and try the resistor trick.

Re: XOX(BOX) Trouble shooting

by spotta » Wed May 06, 2015 15:57 UTC
with the 100k resistor between the pins that go to q27 and q26 and my dmm set to the 2v scale I get
Lwr octave lwr C - 0v
Middle octave lwr C - 0v
High octave lwr C - 0v
Higher octave lwr C - 0.023v
Higher octave high C - 1.123v

Re: XOX(BOX) Trouble shooting

by spotta » Wed May 06, 2015 16:27 UTC
Removed Q28, same results. shall I order a new 2SC1583?

Re: XOX(BOX) Trouble shooting

by guest » Wed May 06, 2015 20:06 UTC
just to make sure, can you remove C33 as well (this way there is nothing connected to the collector of Q26 but the 100k resistor).

then, if that doesnt do it, can you give me the voltages again on Q26 for both middle low C and higher low C. i just want to be absolutely sure its Q26 before asking you to hunt down a new one. you could also just toss in 2 transistors and see if it works (in place of Q26). they wouldnt need to be matched or anything for a quick test.

Re: XOX(BOX) Trouble shooting

by guest » Wed May 06, 2015 20:07 UTC
also, set your multimeter to the mV range for the current measuring tests. what multimeter do you have?

Re: XOX(BOX) Trouble shooting

by spotta » Wed May 06, 2015 20:43 UTC

Re: XOX(BOX) Trouble shooting

by guest » Thu May 07, 2015 00:02 UTC
ok, set it to the 200mV range when doing the 100k resistor measurement.

Re: XOX(BOX) Trouble shooting

by spotta » Sun May 10, 2015 12:45 UTC
Lwr octave lwr C - 0mV
Middle octave lwr C - 0mV
High octave lwr C - 0.5mV
Higher octave lwr C - 23.7mV
Higher octave high C - out of range

I also now have two spare 2SK30AO's now ready to fit, but haven't ordered another 2SC1583 yet.

Re: XOX(BOX) Trouble shooting

by guest » Sun May 10, 2015 19:24 UTC
were those with the capacitor removed? if so, then its sounding like the 2sc1583 is the problem. what were the voltages on it for 2 different CVs?

Re: XOX(BOX) Trouble shooting

by spotta » Tue May 12, 2015 13:39 UTC
I hadn't removed C33 - I must have missed that bit, however I now have and everything's the same.
voltages across 100k resistor in Q25 on mV scale are
middle low C = .000
higher low C = .5

Re: XOX(BOX) Trouble shooting

by guest » Wed May 13, 2015 20:32 UTC
so i went back and looked at some of the earlier debugging info you posted, and realized that i made a mistake. there is something wrong with the scaling. this could be Q26, or the resistors (most likely Q26). can you use your multimeter to double check the resistance of R100, R106, and R118 (make sure power is off). they wont read exactly right, as they are in-circuit, but they should be somewhat close.

Re: XOX(BOX) Trouble shooting

by spotta » Wed May 13, 2015 20:54 UTC
Q28 is still unpopulated and the resistor is still in Q25
but I get

R100 .493 for both R100A & R100B
R106 2.39
R118 13.33

Re: XOX(BOX) Trouble shooting

by guest » Thu May 14, 2015 00:34 UTC
it looks like r106 might be bad. desolder one leg, and measure the resistance again out of the circuit. it should be 27k. it could be reading low becuase its in the circuit, or it could be bad. do the same for R118 (that should read 100k).

Re: XOX(BOX) Trouble shooting

by spotta » Thu May 14, 2015 10:46 UTC
Yep R106 is bad. The build manual states this should be 24k rather than 27k, which would you recommend replacing it with?

Re: XOX(BOX) Trouble shooting

by guest » Thu May 14, 2015 19:15 UTC
yes, use the 24k.

and my most sincere apologies for not catching this earlier. i feel really bad about having you rip apart half of the VCO, and order new parts and all. im not sure why i messed up my calculations the first time.

Re: XOX(BOX) Trouble shooting

by spotta » Thu May 14, 2015 19:38 UTC
Dude, you have been helping me out on this for three weeks. you have no reason to feel bad at all. I am so grateful to have someone who knows the x0x so well helping me out :)
Do you think i should repopulate C33 and Q25 after R106 is replaced and try it?

Re: XOX(BOX) Trouble shooting

by guest » Thu May 14, 2015 20:31 UTC
yes, reassemble everything, and it should work fine now.

Re: XOX(BOX) Trouble shooting

by spotta » Fri May 15, 2015 13:46 UTC
We have acid ;)
gonna try and add the x0xIO mods now, but please pm me a personal paypal email address so I can treat you to a bottle of your favourite drink for all your help.

Re: XOX(BOX) Trouble shooting

by guest » Fri May 15, 2015 18:50 UTC
awesome, glad to hear its working. and no need to send me anything, im just happy to help out.

Re: XOX(BOX) Trouble shooting

by spotta » Tue May 19, 2015 19:14 UTC
It was a sincere offer, if anyone had helped me out 1/4 of how you have helped me, I'd have treated them with a nice drink of equivalent to say thanks.
I'll just say Thank you very much then ;)

Re: XOX(BOX) Trouble shooting

by spotta » Tue May 19, 2015 19:57 UTC
Next question (you knew there'd be more didn't you!) started tuning tonight
With the voltage set to 5.33 I get 1.99 and 2.98 going to R90. in order to get the required 2v & 3v I have to adjust the voltage to 5.37.
I'm going to tune it set to 5.33 for now, I can always adjust. but knowing that I probably will use the CV out for other Osc's what would you recommend?

Also while setting up the low C, High C pattern to generate these voltages I've noticed that the sequencer step LEDs do not match up with the note LEDs, its like the step LEDs are almost a step behind the notes.
hopefully this will help show what I mean https://youtu.be/SimWJGfVuj4
Any ideas?

Re: XOX(BOX) Trouble shooting

by guest » Wed May 20, 2015 05:59 UTC
i would tune it so the output is 1V/2V etc, if you plan to use it with other synths. but be sure to check your multimeter, and that 1V makes the right sound on your other synths as well. its possible that your meter is slightly out of calibration. another thing to check (and this can be done easily once youve tuned it), is that all of the notes in the sequence are in tune. its possible that the DAC resistors are quite precise enough, so there is a bit of slop in the CV output.

as for the steps being out of step, that would be a firmware issue. i dont know a whole lot about the various firmwares. which one are you running? you can also put the x0x in midi keyboard mode, and turn the pattern knob to make sure the right leds are lighting up (on the very, very odd chance its a hardware thing).

Re: XOX(BOX) Trouble shooting

by spotta » Wed May 20, 2015 13:05 UTC
it's running sokkOS 1.9.1

Re: XOX(BOX) Trouble shooting

by guest » Wed May 20, 2015 20:28 UTC
so, im not too familiar with sokkos. you might want to ask around on the x0x forums at adafruit about that. my guess is that its normal behaviour. all of the leds are digitally addressed, so its really hard for them to get out of sync because of some hardware thing.