Tools and Techniques for Musicians, Composers, and Tinkerers
x0x troubleshooting - audio out?
30 posts · 39379 views
by far gon » Sat Jan 10, 2015 09:06 UTC
Hi,
I recently completed the x0x-heart build with the euro Pacemaker PCB and grayscale panel. Well at least almost completed...
I am beginning to tune the module but ran into issues and I am posting here for clarification and possible troubleshooting advice.
I trimmed J4 pin 1 to 5.33v. (as per the first step in tuning in xox-heart manual)
Moving to the next step though, I am not getting audio out from J6 pin 1 or 3. Rather I seem to be getting a constant voltage to ground according to the oscilloscope.
J6 Pin 1 = 9.2v to ground
J6 Pin 3 = 6.08v to ground
I am getting 5.2v from the 7805 regulator (from supplied mouser cart), and that is what is found on pin 11 of the euro header on the x0x-heart.
The filter and envelope seem to be functioning properly, as when I plug an external oscillator into the ext in, the filter will sweep the audio. Sending gate to the gate jack produces enveloping as expexted. Env Mod and Decay work as expected and the CV jacks work with CV applied. This was all tested after connecting the heart to pacemaker via headers.
Any tips, ideas, or insight would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
by guest » Sat Jan 10, 2015 18:29 UTC
did you apply a VCO CV when you tested? it sounds like the VCO is not making any sound (or else you would hear it from the filiter out). the VCO needs a CV to make sound, and one of the waveforms needs to be selected via the waveform switch (to hear it at VCF out). if that doesnt work, check J5 for the same CV as you are applying.
by far gon » Sat Jan 10, 2015 19:57 UTC
I just tested these recommendations.
I applied CV to the 1v/oct in jack at various static voltages from a sequencer as well as from a DC offset. Switch set to either saw or square produces no tone at the filter out. I can measure the voltage applied to 1v/oct at J5 pin 2, and they match. Measuring J6 pin 1 or 3 produces now 10.6v and 5.8v respectively (slightly different from readings last night) with front panel knob movement producing no change on these readings.
With gate applied to Gate in jack, still no sound from either filter out or VCA out. When an external oscillator is plugged in to Ext in, I can get audio from filter out, and VCA out with gate applied. This is all tested with the x0x heart attached to Pacemaker and front panel.
One thought of maybe where I could have potentially messed up the x0x heart is: when probing for J6 pin 1, I accidentally clipped the probe onto one of J3's jumper wires. Not sure if this would have any effect, but I thought I would bring it up anyway. I read another thread about 'digital-in sensitivity' and thought maybe my probing could have affected this section.
THANKS FOR YOU HELP!
p.s. I also have two other x0x-hearts to build up, so if i cant get this one working, I will build the others to help troubleshoot. I was hoping to be missing something obvious and/or to avoid making mistakes in the next two
by guest » Sat Jan 10, 2015 21:50 UTC
it definitely sounds like something is not right. do you feel comfortable probing around the SMT stuff? it would be great to see the voltages on U11 and C33. another thing to try, is to connect up headphones or you scope, so you can monitor the VCO output, and then apply pressure to the components in the VCO area (while it is powered up and running - with CV). its possible there is a bad solder joint on one of the SMT components, and that it is making intermittent contact (all of the PCBs are tested before shipment, but if its intermittent, it could have passed QA and then failed later). it wont hurt anything to touch the board while on.
its possible that Q28 could get damaged if pin1/2 are shorted on J6, or if pin1 is shorted to ground by some other means.
the voltages you are reporting are usually a fault of Q17/18 not resetting properly. double check that that area of the board is clean and looks ok. is anything getting warm?
by far gon » Sat Jan 10, 2015 22:40 UTC
I measured these points you suggested.
On the LM35, U11:
Pin 1 = 656mV
Pin 2 = 576mV
Pin 3 = 32mV
Pin 4 = 0.00uV
Pin 5 = 5.2V
Pin 6 = 5.2V
Pin 7 = 4.8V
Pin 8 = 12V
C33 = 9.2V
I will do some pushing on components in the VCO section to see if there is something intermittent as well.
Now that you mention the possible damage possible to Q28... I do now have a sinking feeling that I potentially shorted Pin 1 to ground (middle pin) of J6 when first trying to probe for the audio out. I should have taken a break as it was late at night and had been soldering all day, so im not sure if that happened. I thought I saw a waveform on the scope when first probing J6 pin 1, but it was brief as I hadn't clipped the probe on and also I wasn't sure if the 'waveform' i saw for a split second was just the contact and de-contact of the probe. It was not a bi-polar wave if so. In the attempt of getting a good clip connection, there is a chance the probe made contact to both pin 1 and 2. Maybe its a harsh lesson to learn what we all have heard at least once: take a break, come back to it even the next day to test. I was excited for the acid, and it was an easy build, so my confidence was high ...but a bit unfounded.
If it is damaged Q28, is there any way to make sure? And if so, what would the replacement part or part # be? Looks like three pins to rework if that needs replacing, which ive never done on this small, but I would try it to save the x0x!
by far gon » Sat Jan 10, 2015 22:42 UTC
And the Q17 part of the board looks clean as far as i can tell. Nothing seems to be getting warm anywhere.
by guest » Sat Jan 10, 2015 22:56 UTC
the voltages seem ok on U11 (im assuming no CV was applied). the way to test Q28, is to scope C33 with your scope, and see if there is a waveform there (apply a CV first - at least 2V). if there is a waveform there, and not at J6, then Q28 is bad. its a tricky rework, but it is replaceable.
by far gon » Sat Jan 10, 2015 23:21 UTC
Correct there were no CVs applied with those measurements.
So I have applied 3.2V to 1V/oct in. Measured same voltage at J5 pin 2. (jumpered tune header)
But at C33 I still get a constant 9.2V, no waveform.
I really appreciate your help in this matter!
by guest » Sat Jan 10, 2015 23:35 UTC
ok, so its probably not Q28 (it still could be, but a different failure mode). get your multimeter, and measure the voltage across R104. this will be bit difficult, since it is so small, so if you need to, put one probe on C34 and other other on R104 (one side of C34 connects to one side R104). check the voltage drop for 0V CV, and 5V CV (or voltages somewhere around there). this will check to see if the expo converter is working. the voltage should double (it will be something small, a 100mV or something).
by far gon » Sat Jan 10, 2015 23:49 UTC
At 0V CV applied, voltage across R104 = 123 mV
With 5v applied, voltage across R104 = 159.6 mV
by far gon » Sun Jan 11, 2015 00:16 UTC
Those last readings of R104 were with my multimeter (which is somewhat inexepensive, and i'm unsure of its accuracy at mV levels). So in cross referencing with the oscilliscope (rigol ds1052e) I get different readings:
5v applied = 60mV ish (fluctuating a little)
0v applied = ~123mv again fluctuating.
When measuring with the oscilliscope, these measurements were fluctating as it seems to be a biased waveform of pretty high fequency. Is this correct?
Sorry if my measurements with the multimeter threw you off... I think its time for a proper meter.
by guest » Sun Jan 11, 2015 00:34 UTC
that not quite right. with 5V CV, measure the voltage drop across R100, it should be pretty small. then measure the voltage on one side of R100 with respect to ground (doesnt matter which side), it should be 5.3V.
by guest » Sun Jan 11, 2015 00:38 UTC
the scope readings are even stranger. i would trust the multimeter more at low voltage levels, as digital scopes are pretty noisey below 50mV or so. it should be a DC level, though.
by far gon » Sun Jan 11, 2015 00:55 UTC
Also I installed fresh batteries in the multimeter just in case...
Voltage drop across R100 = 29.9 mV
Voltage on supply side of R100 to ground = 5.11 V ( I compared this to J4 pin 1 and its 5.11V as well, but with oscilloscope it measures 5.36- so there is slight discrepency between my multimeter and the scope).
by far gon » Sun Jan 11, 2015 00:58 UTC
Point taken on the scope! Makes sense about the noise.
by guest » Sun Jan 11, 2015 01:04 UTC
ok, can you repeat that, and measure the voltage with respect to ground at:
1. both sides of R106
2. both sides of R118
3. both sides of R100
4. both sides of D25 (there are 3 pins, only 2 do anything)
by far gon » Sun Jan 11, 2015 01:33 UTC
R106 = 5.06V, 4.99V
R118 = 5.08V, 0V
R100 = 5.11V, 5.08V
D25 = 467mV, 4.4mV (third pin is 0V as you mentioned)
by guest » Sun Jan 11, 2015 01:37 UTC
are those D25 voltages correct? are they refrenced to ground? they seem a bit wierd, ill have to think about that for a bit. are these measurements with your meter or your scope?
by guest » Sun Jan 11, 2015 01:40 UTC
put C33 on the scope, and watch the scope as you measure the voltage at D25 with you meter. if C33 stays at 9.3V, and D25 is still reading 400mV (or anything less than 5V for that matter), then Q28 is probably bad.
by far gon » Sun Jan 11, 2015 01:57 UTC
I just re-measured the D25 pins, and the values were the same as posted before.
I rechecked a couple other voltages and then went back to the D25. This time measured 430mV, 4.9mv.
I then started writing this post and went back to triple check and got 422mv, and 4.7mv.
So it seems to slightly fluctuate over a few minutes
Voltage to ground measured with the multimeter, not the scope.
by guest » Sun Jan 11, 2015 02:01 UTC
what that means, is that Q17 is off, and therefore its Q28 that is leaking the current into C33, which is not good. the C33/D25 measurement test i posted earlier would confirm this, as its possible that the act of measuring D25 shuts off Q17.
by far gon » Sun Jan 11, 2015 02:19 UTC
Alright just tested that.
C33 stayed at 9.2v on the scope, while the largest reading I got from D25 that time is 373 mV (measured simultaneously.
So do you think replacing Q28 will probably solve the issue? Could this leaking current have compromised other components?
Also, could you tell me what Q28 is or a part # or something? I figure its worth a shot to try to replace. I would kind of feel bad just tossing the x0x-heart... but maybe its cheaper and easier than trying to replace Q28.
Again, I REALLY appreciate you helping me through this!
by far gon » Sun Jan 11, 2015 02:37 UTC
Well suppose i should have looked in the most obvious of places, the x0x wiki, to find the parts list pdf for the x0x-heart. I not completely helpless lol!
So I found the replacement part for Q28:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ON- ... jFNw%3D%3D
and will tack it on to my next mouser order.
Is there anything else you can think of to get 'just in case' to replace (or test further)?
Thanks for taking the time to help me. In the great spirit of DIY, I will do the same for another in need if I can help. Just keep me away from probing your x0xen ;P
by guest » Sun Jan 11, 2015 02:38 UTC
you can try removing Q28, and then testing C33 again. if you get an oscillation, then Q28 was the culprit. the part number 2SK3666-2. removing small parts like that can be difficult, the issue is that you need to heat all 3 pins up to melt the solder simultaneously, and then use a pair of tweezers to lift it off the board. there are a couple of ways of doing this. if you have a hot air pencil, or heat gun with really small nozzle, you can locally heat the part and lift it off. you can also use a soldering iron, and apply flux over the part, and then quickly go from pin to pin, trying to spread the heat evenly, and then lift it off. the final method is to heat a pin, lift it up with a pair of tweezers, and then do the other pins. you have to pry a fair bit to get the pin to bend up, though.
another method for testing, would be to just cut the trace that goes to Q28 from C33. you could make a solder jumper if Q28 wasnt the problem.
by guest » Sun Jan 11, 2015 02:39 UTC
oh, another method for getting SMT parts up is to use solder wick and get as much solder up as possible, then lift the part off.
its probably worth taking Q28 off first before placing the order, to see if it is really the problem. let me know how it goes.
by far gon » Sun Jan 11, 2015 02:57 UTC
Good point on making sure I can successfully remove the part before ordering a new one, and to see if it was in fact the culprit. Thanks for the removal tips, this will be interesting. A new challenge!
I will post here as soon as i find out.
Im also tempted to solder on the headers of one of my other untouched xox-hearts and mate it with this pacemaker to get one working, rather than building another up from scratch.
Do you think this is wise?
Im doubting the fault has anything to do with the pacemaker, and am more convinced I shorted J6 pin 1 to pin 2 (gnd) to cause this damage. But my wisdom also told me to start tuning this thing at 3am without a break from building it, which in hindsight was not a good idea...
Patience Grasshopper or acid chirps of success?
by guest » Sun Jan 11, 2015 03:13 UTC
measure the resistance to ground from the various pins on j6 to make sure there isnt a short on the pacemeker, and if it all seems good, then put a new x0x-heart on.
by far gon » Sun Jan 11, 2015 03:17 UTC
Q28 removal is a success!
...and probing C33 to ground produces a saw wave!
It is biased to only positive voltage, but the pacemaker AC-couples the signal, correct?
So it was Q28 after all.
Well I feel a lot better knowing im close to a working module, once i can solder in that tiny little replacement Q28 anyway.
Anything else I should check?
This was a learning experience for sure!
I know I've said it enough times to probably annoy you by now, but here it is again: THANK YOU GUEST!!!
by guest » Sun Jan 11, 2015 03:25 UTC
wow, awesome news! and congrats on getting that sucker off, that was the difficult part. putting a new one back on will be much easier. which method did you use to remove it?
by far gon » Sun Jan 11, 2015 03:41 UTC
I used the method of putting a small sharp flat blade screw driver under the edge of the chip, and then heating the nearest pin while applying a turning/prying force. The last pin ended up snapping, but its easy enough to apply a little more heat with a tweezers to get the remaining pin metal.
Yea it sure makes it fun when you have to fight for victory... I mean who wants to just have successful builds all the time?!