Board index › Products › Audio Codec Shield

How about real 24 bits?

2 posts · 5669 views

How about real 24 bits?

by sdiedrichsen » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:26 UTC
I just got the Audio Codec Shield. It's really great, I made a small synth with the Arduino and the Maple board within a few hours.
But I'd love to get a bit more resolution, especially with the the Maple, which has 32bit registers anyway. For the Codec, it seems to be simple to switch it to 32 bit DSP mode, but does the Maple SPI deal with it?

Best regards and once again thanks for making such a cool board!

Steffan

Re: How about real 24 bits?

by guest » Tue Feb 19, 2013 03:31 UTC
right now the libraries for the codecshield only support 16b transfers. doing longer transfers would take up more time, and not improve the sound quality. although the codec is able to pass 24b numbers, the noise floor is closer to 14b or 15b on the codec, so the extra resolution wouldnt change anything.