Board index › Products › BootlegMIC

Android

9 posts · 19161 views

Android

by MonkeyJohn » Mon Sep 17, 2012 17:21 UTC
A friend of me linked me to the BootlegMIC after complaining multiple times about the loud and distorted noise my phone records at the parties I go to :P It has been bothering me for quite some time now that the stock mic just can't handle the volume and all I record is the bass "oppressing" the other frequencies.
A quick look around the interwebs doesn't give any information if there is a app. that does recognize the BootlegMIC.
So basically I was wondering if there are any updates for the Android users?

Re: Android

by guest » Mon Sep 17, 2012 17:51 UTC
ive heard that it is just a matter of reversing the leads
so i will give that a try soon

can the android normally record from the mic jack?
or is a special app usually required?

Re: Android

by MonkeyJohn » Mon Sep 17, 2012 18:29 UTC
I actually have never tried to film/record anything with my headset plugged in, going to test that asap.
I've got a Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc and use the stock camera app. that is installed. I don't think the stock camera uses the external mic or that you can even change settings for it.

Re: Android

by MonkeyJohn » Mon Sep 17, 2012 20:21 UTC
I found a camera/video app. that let's you select almost anything you could think of for settings i.e. audio and video encoder, audio (12kbps - 320kbps) and video (100Kbit - 100Mbit) bitrate, framerate (2 - 60 & auto) and samplerate (11025 - 48000).
http://rubberbigpepper.com/en/node/177

The audio source should be set to 'Default' and it records with the mic from my headset when it is plugged in and I even tested it by plugging in the headset while filming and recording switched to the ext. mic.
Make sure your phone can handle the settings because by default the video bitrate was set at 6Mbit and the recording had a stutter in the audio so I changed the videobitrate to 3Mbit, lowered the samplerate to 44100 and set audio bitrate at 256Kbps and it sounded fine to me.
Because this app. lets you change specific settings I think it might appeal to you guys.

Re: Android

by guest » Mon Sep 17, 2012 23:09 UTC
thanks for the app info

i just ran some tests on a
samsung tmobile galaxy sgh-t959v
and both the regular bootlegmic
and a version which swapped the signal/ground lines
worked for recording
but it was still a bit distorted

the problem with android
is that there is a range of hardware platforms
and its not clear that one design will fit all
so some tweaking will be required to get it going

if you are willing to hack around with it
i can give advice on things to check to get it working

Re: Android

by apalyi » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:08 UTC
Hi all,

I just built a BootlegMic using the following parts:
- 2.2 kOhm 0.25W resistor
- 470 Ohm 0.25W resistor
- 22 uF 16V capacitor
- Monacor electret microphone

The only problem is, that it doesn't work with my Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 mobile phone, which has a jack pinout same as the iPhone.
However, it works fine with my Lenovo ThinkPad T410 laptop, which has the same jack pinout.
I measured the voltage on the signal/GND, and it has appropriate polarity.
Any advice is appreciated...

Thanks,
Adam

Re: Android

by guest » Thu Apr 11, 2013 17:52 UTC
what is the failure mode? does it have pops and clicks? is there no sound at all?

do you have a microphone that does work with your phone? try recording with that first, and maybe measure the voltage on it to check the polarity.

Re: Android

by apalyi » Fri Apr 12, 2013 17:47 UTC
Sorry, I made a noob mistake... When I tried to listen to the voices I recorded, the BootlegMic was still plugged into the phone, so the speaker was muted.
It works fine with both devices. :)

apalyi wrote:Hi all,

I just built a BootlegMic using the following parts:
- 2.2 kOhm 0.25W resistor
- 470 Ohm 0.25W resistor
- 22 uF 16V capacitor
- Monacor electret microphone

The only problem is, that it doesn't work with my Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 mobile phone, which has a jack pinout same as the iPhone.
However, it works fine with my Lenovo ThinkPad T410 laptop, which has the same jack pinout.
I measured the voltage on the signal/GND, and it has appropriate polarity.
Any advice is appreciated...

Thanks,
Adam

Re: Android

by guest » Fri Apr 12, 2013 22:02 UTC
awesome, glad you got it working